Thursday, December 4, 2008

Organizing CDs

Every so often, our large (over 200) CD collection gets out of control and we can't find anything. To be completely honest, our CDs have been in a messy pile for a while. I have decided that this week's task would be to rein in that mess. Currently, all of our CDs are at my feet, by the computer. I am trying to make the critical decision - how to organize all of them.

As an English teacher, the alphabetical system is appealing. It will be equally easy to find The Clash and Benny Goodman. On the other hand, if I am looking for a classical CD and I don't know the composer's name, alphabetical does not help. In that case, an organizational system based on genre would be the most efficient. Of course, I could organize by time. We have a little music from most decades of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Whatever I do, I have to make sure that I have buy-in from my husband. He often disregards any organizational system I set up. I try not to nag, but is it really so difficult to put the frying pans back with the other frying pans, in a manner that won't cause all of them to tip over as soon as someone touches them?

Sorry.

How do you organize your "stuff"?

4 comments:

Family Man said...

Hi Toni.

I don't have any system, but the best thing I did was to take the CDs out of the case and put them in a CD binder. It takes up a lot less space and it's easier to find the CDs.

Teacher Toni said...

A binder would solve all my problems, except I have a beautiful CD holder :)

Family Man said...

A binder solved my problems with CDs. Plus with your CD holder, that's what garage sales are for. :)

I was thinking about it earlier, but you could arrange the CDs in alphabetical or chronological order and then have a sheet up front to cross reference them. That is if you went with a binder.

Teacher Toni said...

What did you do with the liner notes and lyrics?