Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Looking for a job

I knew that things would be tight financially when I decided to take a year off of work. I just didn't realize that I would have to get a job.

I have spent the last few mornings going to retails stores of the big box nature, filling out applications. I have been surprised by one change since my retail days (in college 20 years ago), all of these stores want a resume. I can't understand why. These are minimum wage jobs. I have a resume, displaying how wonderful a teacher I am. I can't justify skewing my CV to show the vast retail experience I accumulated before becoming a teacher.

My job search took me to the mall today. I was struck how by how youth orientated the mall really is. I didn't feel comfortable filling out an application at most of the stores in the mall, mostly because the merchandise is not meant for me. Those places don't want someone with wisps of gray hair selling size 2 pants to teenage girls.

Unfortunately, the economy is such that almost no one is hiring anyway. I got a lot of "we're just not hiring." Well, tomorrow, I hit the big box hardware stores. At least at those places, I won't be tempted to spend too much cash.

No comments: