Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Testing Day 1

"Do not look back in your answer document. Do not look at the test that follows. Do no smile (this is serious business). Do not question authority. Do not think, just color in those little ovals like your very life depends on it."

Actually, my life depends on those bubbles, that isn't your problem.

Today, juniors across the state of Michigan participated in the first of three days of testing. The treat today was the ACT. The ACT consists of five timed tests: English (75 questions/45 minutes), Math (60 questions/60 minutes), Reading (40 questions/35 minutes), Science (40 questions/35 minutes), and Writing (one essay/30 minutes). Illinois and Kentucky also use the ACT as their statewide test.

The rules for the ACT are quite strict. Students are to be seated three feet apart from each other. No cell phones or other electronic devices (except calculators for the math). No reading material. No food or beverages. Here is my first issue. Water hydrates the body and mind. It can help keep you sharp and alert. I know that if I don't drink enough water in a day, I will feel more tired than usual. I do understand that a bottle of water can spill and cause a distraction. I also know that drinking water can greatly increase the urgency to use the bathroom (thus losing testing time). But testing conditions are no way realistic or conducive to optimal performance. If I am hungry or thirsty, those are the thoughts that will consume my mind.

The ACT nazis prevent me from disclosing any questions I may have seen on the test, including the essay. All I'll say is that it is a long day. The students in my room seemed to be taking the test quite seriously and were really trying to answer all the questions. Unfortunately, on all of the multiple choice tests, it seems that of the 20 students in the room, only nine or ten actually finished. From walking around the room, it seems that the majority of the students filled in one bubble spot once the five minute warning was given. By that, I mean that students were told (and told and told) in advance that if they are unable to finish all the questions, color in either the second or third oval. Sadly, it seems that the students in my room filled in the first bubble, so our chances for good scores are pretty remote for many of my students.

Tomorrow's test, WorkKeys. This is also created by the ACT people, but is simpler and an employment skills test. It will slos be s shorter day.

1 comment:

Am3L said...

Heads up, your last sentence needs some revising.

You've made some good points about the ACT, Mrs. Coral. And I will agree, the way the test is administered is probably not in the best arrangement; however, I believe it has more to do with preventing students from having an unfair advantage (cheating). For example, if beverages were allowed to be consumed during testing, what's preventing students or even schools from distributing beverages that contain:
http://outhouserag.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/20/pepsicheating.jpeg

I want to make one more point without going too in-depth into this whole matter. As much I condemn standardized testing, I feel they are necessary for one reason: they allow students to go to the appropriate institution. It's not a perfect system, and it never will be; however, you have to remember that such testing would not be administered if there was a negative or no correlation of the score a student receives on his/her ACT and the amount the knowledge/skill a student has.
Finally, think about if we did not administer these tests. How would we decide which student should go to which college? Should colleges administer an admission test? I can see that as being quite catastrophic for prestigious and poorly ranked institutions. In addition to that, I can see dozens of other serious problems with that. So yeah, something to think about.

And please Mrs. Coral, have some faith in your students. Remember, they are doing their best and I'm sure they are aware of the consequences of not achieving the goals.

Keep us updates and best of luck.