Saturday, May 1, 2010

Inspired silliness

I have just started reading J.D Salinger's Catcher in the Rye to my mainstream/special education class. So far so good, they seem to like it. I, on the other hand, am LOVING it. I had forgotten how good it is. One thing I ask the students to do is to write down an interesting or confusing quote every few pages. Thus far, they have picked some terrific quotes.

Thinking about this has, of course, distracted me. I love picking out phrases and lines from songs and movies and keeping them around. I probably have reserved precious brain space for dozens of these snippets. Some are serious while most are goofy. Here are just a few that I am certain that I know by heart:

"I'd beg for some forgiveness, but beggin's not my business."
"If you have five seconds to spare, then I'll tell you the story of my life. Sixteen, clumsy, and shy...."
"This one goes to 11."
"You're a monster."
"I'm quite illiterate, I read a lot."

What are those one line phrases that bring an immediate smile to your face whenever you encounter them?

2 comments:

Brian Henry said...

Toni,

On Sunday, June 6, I'm offering a "How to Get Published" seminar
in Windsor. (Details below.)

Windsor is a bit outside my usual stomping grounds, so I'm trying to get some word-of-mouth going about it.

Perhaps you'd like to pos a notice in your blog - or maybe you'd like to come yourself.
All the best,

- Brian Henry
http://quick-brown-fox-canada.blogspot.com/

“How to Get Published”
Sunday, June 6
1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Optimist Community Centre
1075 Ypres Blvd, Windsor (Map here)

If you've ever dreamed of becoming a published author, this seminar is for you.
We’ll cover everything from getting started to getting an agent, from writing a query letter
to writing what the publishers want. Bring your questions. Come and get ready to be
published!

Workshop leader Brian Henry has been a book editor and creative writing instructor
for more than 25 years. He teachers creative writing at Ryerson University and George
Brown College and has led workshops everywhere from Boston to Buffalo and from
Sarnia to Sudbury. But his proudest boast is that he’s helped many of his students to
get their first book published and to launch their careers as authors.

Special Option: Participants are invited to bring a draft of a query letter you might
use to interest an agent or publisher in your book. You don’t need to bring anything,
but if you do, a couple copies could be helpful.

Fee: $36 (paid in advance or $40 if you wait to pay at the door.

To register, please make out a cheque to Brian Henry and mail it to:

Brian Henry, 110 Reiner Road, Toronto, ON M3H 2L6

To reserve a spot now, email: brianhenry@sympatico.ca

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks so much Brian. I really appreciate it. i know exactly where the seminar is and I'll be sure to sign up.