Saturday, April 30, 2011

A New Tradition

Last week in Andrew's meditation class, the instructor read a book called Have You Filled A Bucket Today . The book is about happiness and how we carry around an invisible bucket with our feelings. It is meant to encourage kindness by filling up other people's buckets with positive words. For my Andrew, I see it as a way to help him build empathy, which is so often lacking in people on the Autism Spectrum.

I decided to create a tradition out of this. I ordered the book and bought a couple of little buckets (remnants of Easter stuff). For the past couple of days, Andrew and I have been filling each others buckets up with loving words and kindness. Plus, he's practicing writing complete sentences, because I am not allowed to see what he's writing ahead of time. He giggles with delight at each note and his ability to show love has just been exploding lately.

I'm a pretty happy mom.

No comments: