Friday, November 25, 2011

Serious questions

Every year, I suffer the same Christmas conundrums and usually bail on finding an acceptable answer by doing nothing. Now that I'm starting fresh, I want to put these questions out for the general public to chew on and see what comes out of the process.

I should start off by stating that I'm pretty much an atheist and so don't buy the whole virgin birth story. For me, the Christmas holiday is...odd. I've mentioned a number of times that I don't really see my family and when we were kids the adults had a falling out and we all never really recovered from that. Therefore, while I enjoy my cousins (the non-racist ones) we never see each other. Since I've moved to Canada, I have one friend who will regularly visit me. I'll try to fix that this year, but everybody always has some bullshit excuse, so I'm a little cynical. I love to cook, so I use the holiday to indulge in that little hobby.

My first conundrum involves cards. I like the concept of cards. I love the idea of getting something in the mail that doesn't involve marketing and or bill paying. However, I haven't sent cards in a few years. I know, I'm a bad person. I am going to send cards this year, so here's the question: do people really want to receive a picture of other people's kids? I know that my son is absolutely the most perfect and handsome boy in the world, but do people really want his picture in the Christmas card? If yes, should it be a school picture or a more fun and spontaneous shot?

Second question involves that ages old problem, when are gifts exchanged in a new relationship? I'm not even sure I'm in a relationship, but I am occasionally sharing someone's bed. Does that mean I should get him a small gift? Am I off the hook if he's flat broke? If I even ask him, is that tacky? Too much pressure?

Final Christmas conundrum, the Santa issue. I never really cared if Andrew ever believed in Santa, but he does believe. I hate lying to him and I just wonder if I let it runs its course? Eventually, he will stop believing on his own, he is in second grade. How do I explain to my the-world-is-black-and-white son that the whole Santa thing is fake, or can I punt the whole issue to his dad, who was a little more pro-Santa than me?

Thanks for listening. If you've got any ideas, let me know.

3 comments:

cteach said...

Personally, I think that the Santa issue will die out on it's own. I believe Santa lives in all of us. As for you special friend, if you want to get him a small gift, then go ahead. Make it a low key deal, and it should be fine. I hate sending out cards, but I do like getting them. I guess you should do whatever gives you happiness, not what you think give others might like.

Anonymous said...

I always think that there's nothing wrong with believing in a little magic! I always love re-reading 'Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - my fave part - not believe in SC? You might as well not believe in Fairies! I don't really see it as lying - its something I appreciate as an adult = the effort my mom and dad took to create some magic for us!

Send the cards! They are nice to give and receive. They don't need to be religious!

If you need to ask = don't give a gift!

ps too lazy to sign up!

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still undecided on the gift idea. There's something about this time of year that makes me want to give even a little gift, but this is, so far, a very casual thing. The answer will hit me.