Wednesday, March 7, 2012

At a crossroads

I am 44 years old. I have a mildly autistic son. I live in a foreign country, that has universal healthcare, where I know nobody. I cross the border every day (to the tune of $8.00/day) to a job that is under assault and I will not likely have in five years. And, at this moment, I should be dividing my time between grading papers and washing dishes.

I feel like I have written this post before. I'm sorry for repeating myself. I just need to figure out my next move. It is likely that within 2-5 years, my school will be labeled a persistently low achieving school. Once that occurs, there will likely be a wholesale firing of many staff members, most likely the most expensive ones. That would be me.I don't wish to wait around for the bloodshed, so I need to take some concrete action. I haven't had time to take care of myself lately, mostly because I usually whipped at the end of the day, but inaction is no longer acceptable.

I could remain in teaching and just beg Ontario to let me have a teaching certificate. I will of course do that. I just wonder if I will have soured on the profession after the debacle in America.

I could move to America and find a job in a safer district, with a bigger commute. While I truly miss my home country, living without Andrew is out of the question. My hand may be forced.

Beyond that, I am clueless. I don't know what I am qualified to do. I don't have enough degrees to teach college. I'm a little past the prime trophy wife age, though this option has been urged by a few people. I'd love to find a publisher and I know I need to move my rear on that dream. I'd also love to find an investor to back me in starting a bed and breakfast.

Sigh. I'm tired of dodging bullshit everyday. It's funny to me how "it takes a village to raise a child," but apparently, it's only the teacher's fault when one fails.

End rant. Now to the dishes.

No comments: