Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rape

In my wildest nightmares, I never thought I would write about this. Sadly, the issue keeps coming up in regards to reproductive rights for women, specifically the right to choose an abortion.

I am ardently pro-choice.  I don't begrudge someone for having qualms about the issue of abortion. For me, the line that many anti-choice people cross is a burning desire to ban contraception. That is until this recent election cycle.  The issue of pregnancy and rape has been a hot topic.  Hottest has been the notion by extremists on the right that abortion should not be allowed under any circumstance, including rape. There have even been comments that a pregnancy caused by a rape is a gift from God. I am a woman that has had to fight off a date in my lifetime.  I've never told anyone this because I was ashamed.  That is not the story I want to share.

That story starts at the age of five, when a family member began to act "odd" around me.  He would try to be alone with me; he was found alone with me in a closet. He would pull me onto his lap and tickle me.  Yes, I could feel his penis as I tried to squirm away.  This family member made comments and passes at me until I was in my early 20's. I can't fully remember what he did manage to do to me, but I feel quite certain that I was victimized. 

I had my first period when I was nine. That's pretty young. I was still playing with my dolls and stuffed animals at that age.  I remember being very confused and embarrassed. Now, as I hear and read these comments about rape and pregnancy, I feel physically ill.  I can only imagine what would have happened if that family member had managed to rape me when I was a child.  I know he desired me because he made an open pass at me when I was 22 or 23.  He tried to caress my hair and tell me how beautiful I was and had always been.

What if he had impregnated me when I was only nine or ten years old?  It was biologically possible. Is that really God's will? A gift? What sick bastard truly believes that?  Someone who is aiming to help shape policy for a nation of 330 million people?  These lunatics cannot be allowed to win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As troubling as your experience was, it's not that uncommon. That's the really sad part. These people have no soul. I can't believe we're actually talking about this and fighting the same battles we thought we won decades ago. And the media is complicit in failing to recognize and/or report how extreme the republican party has become.

Laura M

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks Laura. Sadly, my story is not uncommon.