Sunday, November 16, 2014

What IS so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

My very first job was as a dishwasher in a small family-run bakery.  I lasted only two weeks. I couldn't bear the sight of the "bakers" smoking while making the butter cream frosting.

My second job is the one I truly consider to be my first as I held it for a while and I learned quite a bit about the world on that job.

I was 18 years old and attending a community college full-time to pump up my relatively anemic grades.  The Gantos Boutique was just opening, at Wonderland Mall, next to the book store where my mom worked, so I applied. Luckily, I got a job that did not require me to interact with either people or money.  I was hidden in the back, with a radio, a sharp box cutter, and boxes of merchandise to receive. A perfect job for a kid taking classes.

I also had the perfect boss for my situation.  The store manager's name was Patty and she just might have been the best boss I ever had.  There were three people who received the merchandise for this very large store.  A woman older than me, with kids worked from 9-2, I worked from 1-9, and a high school girl worked from 5-9.  The floor staff was a mixed group of woman in their golden years to just out of high school. Patty was completely aware that many of the college students working for her, in particular me, were not studying to go into retail. Because of that, she told us that she wanted to see our report cards.  The same stipulation was in order for any high school students working at the store.  She was adamant that if grades started to drop, hours would decrease. Grades were more important than work, especially if she knew your parents could support you. Because of this experience, I thought that most bosses would treat their employees with common dignity and respect.

Boy was I wrong.

I won't bore you with all the details of all the bosses I have had in the last 30 years, but to say that Patty still stands out as an example of a good one is telling.  My bosses have ranged from mildly irritating (like a rash) to extremely sadistic.  I can honestly say that not one of the principals for whom I worked could see beyond their own ego (I also do not care if any of them see this). 

Now we see controversy about stores being open on Thanksgiving Day.  Open on the only secular national holiday we have, not related to the military.  We, the people of the United States who have have only 10 nationals holidays, second fewest in "developed" countries.  We, the people of the United States, who do not receive mandated paid vacation time.  A holiday that is supposed to be about being thankful for what we have and our love ones has now turned into an ugly day on which people leave their families to go buy crap from employees who were forced to be away from their families.

No one needs a 50 inch screen television, much less wait in line for one on Thanksgiving day.  No child needs a video game system.  Perhaps staying at home on Thanksgiving and playing with said child is a better present.

In far too many cases, we have allowed ourselves to unconsciously suppress our empathy for those in a lower condition that ourselves.  We see it in comments on articles about the poor, or about minimum wage. We are pissed off people and we are going to take it out on someone whom we perceive as lower than us.  Imagine if we decided to take out that anger on people who have suppressed wages and busted unions and bought politicians.  Imagine if we just didn't shop on Thanksgiving.  What would happen?  Maybe we would see that we really do have power, if we decide to exert it. Peace + love  + understanding = dignity.


No comments: