Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Not an Introvert and this Surprises Me

At the start of the pandemic and the accompanying shelter-at-home phase, people of the Internet divided themselves into two camps: introverts and extroverts. Introverts declared that they had been training for this crisis their entire lives. Extroverts, on the other hand, declared that they were not okay. For all of my life, I had cast myself firmly, but quietly, into Camp Introvert. Eleven months in, I'm not so sure.

As a child, I was terribly shy. Even now, in certain situations, I still am. I do not feel comfortable walking into a gathering with a lot of people and then I'm supposed to sort out where to go. I hate, HATE parties where spontaneous joy is expected to materialize out of thin air. That includes birthday, Super Bowl, and New Year's Eve parties.

I also need a few days after social events to recharge my batteries. I need silence and slow in those periods so I can get my bearings again. If I have to go to a wedding, please do not contact me until a few days after the event. I just don't have the energy.

Oddly, I teach for a living. That requires me to be on and social for six to seven hours a day, five days a week. Yes, it tires me out. It also rejuvenates me at the same time. Like sexuality, I don't necessarily think that all people are either introverts or extroverts. I think that there's a range in there and I fall in that range.

For example, I am a hopeless flirt. I love flirting and shamelessly find myself flirting with strangers at bars, grocery stores, concerts, anywhere. I don't even need liquid courage. Eleven months into this crisis, I deeply miss flirting.

I like going on road trips and talking with strangers in strange places. 

I miss idly chatting with the cashier or bartender or cab driver or anyone else out in public. I love starting random conversations. I have to gather a little energy to do it, but I'm not really put off by the idea of talking with strangers. Truth be told, I often find it very rewarding. I don't think that someone who is 100 percent an introvert likes striking up random conversations.

I fall somewhere in the grey zone, where the color of company is welcome. Don't invite me to a party, but do invite me out to wander the city and we'll have a blast.


No comments: