Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Do the meditation rock

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a you tube video of Allen Ginsberg reciting his poem "Do the Meditation." I saw him perform that poem probably two or three times, the most exhilarating at my very own high school. He came and read poetry during my senior year and he led an auditorium full of high school students in a brief meditation. Ever since that moment, I have been interested in both Zen Buddhism and meditation.

I never followed up on this interest for too many complicated and shallow reasons. I now feel that I will no longer delay following an interest because I feel so much more confident in my ability to handle the consequences, whatever they may be.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that something called the Yoga House opened in a small office space down the hall from my gym. There were some information cards posted along the window, so I took one. I read the schedule and saw that there was a session called Meditation & Breath Awareness. This took me back to my long standing interest and I decided that I would go.

The space was really quite small, with three or four mats laid out on the floor. The instructor, Rupert, had lit incense and candles. One other person showed up for the session. He suggested that I sit on an oval shaped pillow, to elevate hip hips over my knees.

We then spent to next 60 minutes focused on controlled breathing for example breathing in different parts of our lungs. It was quite a remarkable feeling the air enter and leave different parts of my lungs, due to a conscious decision on my part. I felt relaxed and refreshed at the end. The only trouble I had was my right hip and knee were hurting a bit. Next time, he told me that I could sit differently to alleviate the pain. I will definitely go back.

4 comments:

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

Back in my younger days I was interested in that also. I never did take it anywhere though. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

Breath in through the nose, out through the mouth, breath in through the nose, out through the mouth.............

Take care

Teacher Toni said...

I'm going back next week, so I'll let you know.

maryb said...

That sounds great, I wonder if any of the yoga studios around here offer that.

I've found that I'm much less flexible than I used to be (and it's not like I was ever really bendy) and I keep telling myself I need to find a yoga class that's mostly stretching. But the breathing sounds more appealing.

Teacher Toni said...

Mary,

I haven't tried yoga, except for some kiddie yoga with Andrew. The breathing was cool and relaxing. I liked it.