Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Grrr - writer's block

In the beginning of April, I was struck by some divine force and wrote prolifically. Not so much on the blog, but on my dream - my book. For the last month, however, I have found that I can't even look at what I've written. Perhaps my mind is too busy with the assessment ride we have been taking lately.

I find this to be very frustrating. I know that there are writers who have children and still manage to accomplish something on a regular basis. I need to figure out for myself how to get to that spot. I sometimes fantasize about going away for a week or two to some secluded spot, in a far away city, in order to find my muse. New York, London, and Paris all come to mind. A small cramped room with something that resembles a kitchen and a busy bar just down the street. I'd spend all day writing and at night, I'd devour the lights and sounds around me.

I'd come home, completed book clutched to my chest and then I'd make dinner.

5 comments:

Family Man said...

Sounds like you need some alone time just to catch up with yourself.

I've hit the same thing as far as my blog goes. It seemed at the beginning things and words just flowed and now it seems like I'm hunting for something to say. Very frustrating sometimes.

However, with good friends always tapping their toes wanting to know what's going on, it makes it a little easier to write. ;)

Hope your block is gone soon.

Teacher Toni said...

I've been doing more blog writing than fiction writing. Part of the problem is I need to do a little research and my time for that is minimal. Other than that, I do need alone time that doesn't involve the gym.

Anonymous said...

Toni,

Do not allow the fantasy of a productive seclusion to overwhelm the reality of your life. You had a moment of inspiration, which will not be your last.
Your particular brand of genius is not dependent upon a situation which might require your removal from the machine. The infernal machine helps to produce what fertilizes that rich soil, and likely can not be ignored. Poop, my dear, begets roses.
You can not but write your way of these bonds! So write write write....!

Teacher Toni said...

C-

You're right, but I could still use a vacation.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mrs. Coral,

True, there are writers with kids who accomplish at least something on a regular basis... but how many writers do you know that are going through what you're going? Right now, you have this whole thing with Andrew to deal with, and that can be overwhelming.

*losses train of though*

It's 2AM...

But yeah, do take some time off for yourself. Also take a few weeks off from your writing. If you're really passionate about your book, you'll get right into it again when you resume. In the mean time, take plenty of walks... go check out parts of your city you have never been to... I don't know, that's what usually I do when I need to break away. Just do something you like to do alone.

Just remember, take your time writing your masterpiece. Writing a book isn't easy you know... I've tried to write a couple novels myself but I just lost the passion after a few pages... it happens.

So, may I (or we) know what's your book about? Or do we have to wait to find out? :)

- Amel

P.S. I'm going to bed right now.