Sunday, July 19, 2009

A lull in the action

From the very beginning, I was determined not to allow this to be a mommy blog. Sure, my kid is the cutest, smartest boy ever, but I am a person outside of him.

Unfortunately, not a lot has been going on lately. We're pretty broke, so no vacation is planned for the summer. We did travel to Cleveland to visit the zoo and Laura - a very lovely day.

Lately, I've been consumed with trying to squeezing out as much writing time as I can. I am currently enrolled in a very short creative writing class, offered through the Detroit Opera House. I am the only person in the class writing prose, everyone else is writing poetry. I find my poems to be dreadful, so I haven't shared any of them. They are usually inspired by some brief image or event that fully captures my attention. I have, however, gotten a lot of positive feedback on my prose - in particular my use of dialogue. I usually feel pretty good coming out of class.

Currently a girlfriend and I are exploring the option of renting a work space in an industrial complex. She's a photographer/art teacher and she finds it near impossible to work at home - like me. We've checked out two spaces and we are investigating another spot in a week or so. I have found that just the thought of having a private work space is invigorating. I'm excited to make a decision in the next month or so.

At this moment, I am working on three different stories. I'm not quite sure how that happened, but it did. If I'm not ADHD I'd be shocked. The one is the novel I started last fall. The second is a story about dumpster diving and the third is a story about a young-ish guy who is better at planning for his great thereafter than living in the great here and now. The last two stories arose out of assignments for my class and I'm very interested in pursuing both of them My classmates suggested that the dumpster diving story has novel potential and the funeral guy is short story material only. Both of the two latter stories require a fair amount of research, in particular the dumpster diving story. That one might go on the back burner for a while.

I did just enter my first writing contest for fast fiction. It's through NPR and it is called Three Minute Fiction. They've gotten tons of entries, so I'm sure that mine will land at the bottom of some trash heap, but at least I'm feeling confident enough to start putting my work out there for people to see. If I can complete this funeral story, I might actually try to submit it to real magazines. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

maryb said...

Good luck with the contest.

I envy you being able to write creatively.

Teacher Toni said...

Hi Mary. I don't know how "able" I actually am, but I'm it's a dream I've always had to be published.