Sunday, July 26, 2009

A meditation on age

I turn 42 tomorrow. Unlike some female stereotype, I do not hesitate to state my age. Over the years, students have often told me that I don't look my age. They have said this at 30 and at 40. I'm not too sure what one is supposed to look like at any given age.

I am surprised how many of my peers stopped celebrating their birthdays. Some have said that they don't want to be reminded of how old they are getting - as if ignoring the slow march will stop it. Personally, I've never been big on birthday parties for me, so celebrating has usually meant a special dinner. Hitting 40 has made me realize that there is still lots of time and that there are about a billion things I'd like to do or see. I have some of these events pegged to certain birthdays. I don't consider these things to be a bucket list, but I guess that it could be taken this way. Here are a five of the more appropriate things I've just got to do.

1. For birthday 45, I'm going to Wimbledon, for the fortnight. I have loved this tournament since I was a kid and I've decided to go. I have a couple of friend lined up and once I start collecting a paycheck in the fall, I'm going to start a little Wimbledon account.

2. Go to the Grand Canyon. Growing up, my family did not really travel. There were no summer cottages, no summer camp. We'd stayed at home. Because of that, I've missed out on this spectacular sight.

3. Publish my book. Dammit, if it's the last thing I do, I will get this thing finished and published and at least a handful of strangers will buy it.

4. Go back to China. I hope that one day, Andrew will want to go back to China. I want to see the country without feeling the exhaustion I felt on the first trip. I need to see Changzhou, the Andrew's actual hometown.

5. Get back to Paris and go to Florence. I can't imagine that I need to explain either of these. Was David a real guy?

What are those places you just have to visit?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great attitude! = ) I wish all women acted with the same maturity.

Teacher Toni said...

Cynically spoken for such a young age Rxn. You did not share those places you've got to visit.

Anonymous said...

Well my mom and her friends will go to really stupid lengths to not discuss age and what not. I just dont see the point =P

As for where I have to visit: One would be the Aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia (don't know if that counts since its something man made). its the largest in the world! Two, Niagara falls (Canada side). I've been there before but I was really young and didn't fully appreciate it. Three, Barbados- hopefully as a stop in a cruise. Four, the Taj Mahal. I can't believe I haven't seen it yet (seeing as how I'm from around those parts...). Five, Easter island. Six, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Finally, seven, the man made islands (shaped like continents) in Dubai. Oh, I almost forgot the Pyramids of Giza (so that's eight).