Saturday, November 13, 2010

Yummy!

Whenever I'm feeling down or blue, my appetite is heavily affected. I'm usually less hungry and less tolerant of anything new or exotic. Like most people, I turn to comfort foods.

Recipe books love to classify food into categories. I love recipe books, but I just have to laugh at what qualifies as comfort food. Let's take mac n'cheese. I love mac n'cheese, it's Andrew's favorite food, and I have a mighty fine recipe for it. But my idea of comfort does not include spending 15 minutes grating eight ounces of sharp cheddar cheese. That's entirely took much work when I'm blue. The same with lasagna - way too much work to be comforting if the one who needs comforting is the chef.

My comfort food is breakfast. I love toast with butter and apple butter. Cereal of almost any kind is perfect. If I'm really sad, though, nothing can give me a temporary jump like Frosted Flakes. I also love oatmeal. Sure those instant packages will do, but I mean quick cooking oatmeal with brown sugar, maple syrup, and dried apples. I just had a bowl for lunch and my tummy is pretty happy.

What is your favorite comfort food?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, probably my grandmother's baked rice pudding. Or anything with noodles, basically. Or mashed potatoes and gravy.

Laura