Monday, October 3, 2011

I cried twice today

I do not like to cry in front of my students, but it happened twice today.

The first time was the fault of A.S. in my AP Literature and Composition. We've just finished a study of elements of fiction and are now transitioning into poetry. The class's first assignment was to read the introductory chapter on poetry. In class, they annotated the poem and several students volunteered to read the poem aloud and share their annotation. Well A.S. read John Updike's Dog's Death. I had purposely skipped over this selection in the chapter because I am a softie and I knew I would cry. Well he read it and I cried. I pulled together my composure to add more to the conversation we started last week about Frankenstein.

The second set of tears fell at the end of the day, just as Student Council members arrived to put the final touches on Homecoming. I opened my email and discovered that the October issue of RED OCHRE LiT has been published and there was my name. I clicked on my name and I just couldn't help myself. At that moment I had to let go of a lifetime of self-doubt and I had gotten so used to living with it. It has been my shield, my wall. I need to let that go now. The world is such a different place without my own fears holding me back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toni, that's a lovely story, well told. Time to let go of the safety of your own doubts.

Laura

maryb said...

Oh, that story brought tears to my eyes. The end was completely unexpected.

Congratulations on being published and I hope it is the first of many, many stories to be published. I feel really proud to "know" you.

Teacher Toni said...

Mary and Laura,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I've been just floating the last few days. It's such a good feeling.