Sunday, September 16, 2012

Class anxiety

I am not feeling anxious about the classes I am teaching.  As a matter of fact, I am, at this moment, feeling like a pretty competent teacher.  Instead, the class to which I am referring is socio-economic class.  Based on my income, I am  middle class.  I was born middle class, though I might not die middle class.  That's too morbid to muse on a Sunday morning, so let's not.

Thanks to the draconian educational policies that currently exist, I am not securely middle class.  Should I lose my job, who knows what I will do. I need, therefore, to try to put aside some money, and come up with some sort of investment plan.  I think I can do all of that and still travel.  This post isn't about any of that.

I have both spinal arthritis and spinal osteoporosis.  On most days, I don't suffer from too much pain.  A little here, a little there - nothing the heating pad can't handle.  I am, however, finding it more and more difficult to complete a handful of household cleaning tasks without being incapacitated for 24 hours. I know this going into the cleaning, thus I avoid these tasks for slightly longer than I should.  Eww. 

I hate letting things get dirty and I hate pain, so I have fully come to the realization that I need to hire someone to do clean five things in my house: the kitchen floor, the bathroom floors (one full bath and one w.c), both the toilets (the bases, not the bowls), and the tub. 

My problem is that I don't want to hire someone to essentially clean up my shit.  In high school, I cleaned two houses and did not enjoy the experiences.  I have read Nickeled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, I know that many cleaning companies treat their employees like dirt.  The injury rate is high for these women. And yet, I am aware that sometimes any job is better than no job.  I even know that I cannot physically handle cleaning these areas.  None of that seems to mitigate the guilt that I am feeling as I am about to look for someone to hire. I am feeling a kind of middle class guilt about hiring someone who has slipped to, what is essentially, the bottom of the food chain. To be honest, I'm not so sure that I won't slip that far myself.

This is first world problem that I am sure will be mocked by someone, somewhere. I can't help that.  I just hope that I am not the only person who has ever felt this way.

No comments: