Sunday, May 5, 2013

Teacher Evaluations

There are approximately 30 days left in the school year.  Of those, we have a half-day just before the Memorial Day weekend and three half-days for final exams. I'm thrilled and nervous all at once.  You see, I have not yet been evaluated.

In years past, I wouldn't worry about an issue like this.  Last year, I was one of the highest rated teachers in the building, for what it's worth.  But, thanks to the new tenure law in Michigan, I must worry. Even though I have been unable to locate the exact wording, I do know that the law states that if a teacher is NOT evaluated, the rating for that teacher defaults to an ineffective rating.  That's right, if my boss does not evaluate me, I will be automatically deemed ineffective. Three ineffective ratings in a row and a teacher can lose her license.  It boggles my mind. 

Does this make any sense to anyone?  Are there any other professions that have been hounded like teachers? Please contact your people in Lansing and tell them that this situation is deplorable.

In the meantime, I will sit back and see what happens with my situation.  If I am not evaluated, I will contact my union and see what my rights are to fight back. 

No comments: