Monday, June 17, 2013

I'm sure it's nothing

Within the last week, I have experienced blood with bowel movements five times. After the first time, I immediately made an appointment with my doctor.

She poked and peeked and could determine nothing that could easily explain the blood.  Frankly, I was really pulling for a broken blood vessel or a pimple, but no. So, she ordered two tests for me.  She warned me that for one test, I couldn't have vitamin C.  I'm a vegetarian, so this was a daunting task, but like a trooper, I ate not much all weekend and produced a sample for the two bottles the lab had given me on Friday.

Sadly, there was blood on these samples and I worried.  Okay, honestly, I cried.

I took those samples to a different lab, where I learned that there was one more test required - this one was the no vitamin C test.  I did not cry.  I mumbled to myself and went home to read the instructions for the three-day test.  I could eat vegetables, so that was a plus. 

I called my doctor's office and asked if we could just go ahead a schedule a colonoscopy.  There was blood in the samples I turned in and there was blood on the sample I took when I got home, so why not?  The receptionist was quite willing to to do so, but warned me that it could take two months to get an appointment.  Of course, I could play the system and go to emergency. I've already spent time in emergency this year, so that idea doesn't thrill me.

My next option is to find a doctor, in the Detroit area who will take me on and refer me for a colonoscopy, more quickly than two months.  I haven't been to an American doctor in at least six years.  So, I turn to you, my readers, for referrals.  If you really like your family doctor, please feel free to share the doctor's name, phone, and address.

I was not going to share this with anyone.  Frustratingly, I need to formulate a Plan B and I need a little help to do that. I am sure that this is not a big deal, but I'd like eliminate all the concern that is creeping into my head.

No comments: