Saturday, May 3, 2014

Goal Setting

I want to make my time off as "productive" as possible. By productive, I mean address the issues that are causing me the most stress and arranging so I have minimized, for the long-term, the stress they cause me.  For me, the two biggest external stress inducing elements are work and house work.  The way I have been handling these two issues leave me zero time for myself and outside interests - thus the depression.

I'm in no hurry to fix everything.  The process must be slow, or I will mire myself in more worry and stress.  Very counterproductive.  Therefore, I have a simple idea.  Each day, I am going to set two goals for the day: one school related and one house related.  No big to-do list. The goals will be reasonable, but essential to gaining control over both issues.

At the end of each day, I intend on writing down the things I accomplished during the day.  I fully anticipate that some of those days will record that I laid in bed and read and napped and that's it.  Those days will be needed.  I have found, however, every time I keep a to-do list, at the end of the day, I end up focusing on the tasks that were not achieved.  I figure if I focus solely on my accomplishments, the positive remains front and center.

My simple goals for today are to grade five papers and to clear two dining room chairs of clutter.  At the end of today, I will write down everything I accomplished.  I'm hoping that I will feel pretty proud everyday.

No comments: