Thursday, October 30, 2008

Too close for comfort

The other night, we noticed a fire truck going down our street. We would not have noticed the siren-less truck if it hadn't been for our truck obsessed son who heard the distinctive rumble of the engine and ran to the door. We looked down the street and saw a couple of police cars in addition to the fire truck. Wanting to stay out of the way, we stayed indoors.

I opened up our local paper today and discovered what the commotion was. Apparently, there was a home invasion. This happened in the early evening hours, pre-dinner maybe. Two guys kicked in someone's door, told them to get on the floor, and stole a few small items. Luckily for the victim, there was someone in another room who called the police. The two bad guys were caught.

I am not one to frighten easily. I have, unfortunately, been close to some very violent fights at my school. I usually feel more frustration and anger than fear. This little event down the street doesn't frighten me, but it does have me feeling a little wary. The town in which I live is probably on the verge of an economic depression, as is Michigan just across the river. As more people fall into poverty due to a loss of jobs, I do worry about an increase in crime. I realize that the community needs people who are more economically secure to do more to mitigate some of the hurt for the poor. My husband and I, while we don't have a lot, do have fairly secure jobs. It is time for us to step up somehow.

4 comments:

Family Man said...

Hi Toni.

Thank goodness they didn't pick your house. Although I live in a rural county we still have our share of crime. The latest was just down the highway (1/2 mile) from us. A man had checked into a local motel, got his family settled in the room and left for something. When he got back to the motel, someone killed him on his way back to the room. The police have no idea who did it and since he wasn't from around here, it has everyone kind of edgy.

One thing I'll never forget was when I lived in an old run down trailer park for awhile. During the middle of the night, George and Henry started barking. I get up and someone is trying to open my front door to get into the house. I yelled to get away from door and that I had a shotgun and I'd blow their head off. Of course I've never owned a gun and I'm just glad whoever was trying to get in left.

When I moved back home the family wasn't in the habit of locking the doors. I've finally gotten them there.

You stay safe and take care.

FM

P.S. - Sorry to be rambling there. :)

maryb said...

Very scary. I would be totally freaked out.

Family Man said...

OK Toni when are you going to write something again? Get off the couch and let us know what's going on.

Plus you know pictures are appreciated.

Teacher Toni said...

I'm a rotten blogger. I went away for about a week, right after the election, so I didn't have a chance to write. Sorry!