Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Read the label

Several months ago, I was baking something ( I don't remember what exactly) and using cinnamon. I must have been taking a break when I decided to read the cinnamon box. I glanced at the ingredients and saw that besides the cinnamon, the company, McCormick's, had also included hydrogenated oil, maybe cottonseed oil. I was completely dumbstruck and decided to purchase organic cinnamon instead.

I was making my last batch of applesauce for canning last night and I noticed that I would have to buy more cinnamon today. I decided to read the label on McCormick's cinnamon again to see if there was still oil listed in the ingredients. Sadly there was, so I again purchased the organic cinnamon.

Because I have nothing else to do, I called McCormick's went I got home from the store. The customer service representative let out a surprised laugh when I asked her for an explanation. She told me that if the company receives a shipment of "high quality" cinnamon that happens to come from the upper branches of the tree, it will be drier due to having less natural oils. When that cinnamon is processed, a very small amount of oil is sprayed on the grinder so that the cinnamon does not go all poof in the air. Apparently, according to the woman on the phone, a customer could purchase cinnamon six months from now and not see oil listed on the box.

I know that you're smart out there, if for no other reason that you are reading my blog :) Please be sure to always peek at the labels before you buy anything. You never know what companies will try to slip past you.

No comments: