Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The 'A' word

There has been a small portion of my brain and heart that has dreaded this moment for a long time. As I picked Andrew up from school, the para-professional who has been working with him mentioned that she attended a workshop yesterday. That workshop was about Asperger's Syndrome. She said, "You know Miss, he fits many of the symptoms." I abruptly nodded my head and said, "I know." I didn't mean to be so rude to her. She has been wonderful with Andrew. Patient and loving, she has worked hard to help Andrew integrate with his class mates.

As the Mayo Clinic site states, all kids have quirks. It evens reassures parents that just because your child displays a couple a symptoms, it doesn't means that your child has Aperger's.

Andrew displays five symptoms in a fairly over-the-top manner.

1. One-sided conversations: This accounts for about 80% of my day. Andrew will get lost in his own obsessive train of thought (i.e. How many years until I am 20? What will my voice sound like when I'm 20?) to the point that he doesn't even hear me asking him to put his boots on. Either I end up raising my voices (which causes an Andrew meltdown) or I have to physically drag him to the boots and force them into his hands. Every fucking morning - this is our routine.

2.Lack of eye contact: Since day one, we have worked on eye contact, as a means of attachment. Adopted children have a tendency to avoid eye contact, so this has been a huge issue in our house. Still, if we ask Andrew to look at us, he'll look at the top of our head, over the shoulder - any place but our eyes.

3. Intense obsession over one or two objects: I would cry almost everyday in the fall because Andrew felt compelled to pick up every leaf, acorn, or pine cone we would see on the sidewalk while walking to school. His constant yanking on my arms gave me a mild case of carpel tunnel. It also took us forever to get to school and garnered him the nickname - Nature Boy.

4.Lack of empathy: He has been getting better here. Just yesterday, he asked me how my back was feeling. There are many times where he doesn't pick up social cues from his classmates. Today, as we were leaving, a little girl gave him a hug and he just stood there until I encouraged him to hug her back.

5. Poor coordination: This has been another major area of concern since day one. For the first two weeks, Andrew's 14 month-old back muscles were so weak he would randomly flop over knock his little head on the ground. He's better now, but his core muscles still show signs of weakness.

Mother's intuition has told me that somewhere along the line, a teacher would express these concerns about Andrew. My husband has tried to allay those concerns by telling me that Andrew is a "young" four. I don't know. I sense that we will enter the testing before the end of the year.

7 comments:

maryb said...

Thanks for sharing this Toni. Andrew is an adorable little boy and I feel like we're all his aunts and uncles.

It's never easy to think that a little boy you love might have a harder time in the world because of some quirk in a gene or whatever causes stuff. But even after the word is said Andrew is still the same little boy he was yesterday.

Sending lots of love and good thoughts north to all of you!

AndiF said...

I can't improve on what Mary said so I'll just say "What Mary said -- every word of it".

Unknown said...

Toni, you are such a smart and loving mom and I know Andrew will not only be okay, but thrive with all of that love directed at him. My youngest son, Ben, has always had a hard time picking up social cues and truthfully he still does. But he's got lots of friends who love him and he's a B student in college...putting himself through working at Starbucks. The forced friendly interaction of taking drink orders and making small talk has really been good for him. I thought he had plateaued but he continues to blossom. I'm so glad Andrew has you and Hugh. This has got to be so very difficult, but we are all thinking of you.

olivia said...

Hi Toni. Echoing what everyone has said before me. Watching Andrew grow into the fine little man he is has been such a pleasure for us all. I'm sorry that you're dealing w/ these difficult times -- I've noticed that in some of your last postings as well -- but know that we're thinking of you and offering what comfort we can.

Teacher Toni said...

I hope that you don't mind if I respond en masse. You aunties are the best. I appreciate all the love you've sent our way.

This has been a tough winter for me, so the mere mention of Asperger's sent shockwaves through my brain.

Tomorrow, we'll start the process of figuring out the next steps to take. I wish I could get in the car and take a road trip so Andrew could meet all the love that is being sent his way.

I'll keep everyone up-dated.

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

Hey, dont' forget the uncles too. I'm so sorry to hear about Andrew and Asperger's Syndrome. There's no bright side to the syndrome, but if it is confirmed, with Andrew being so young, you'll be able to start his training soon. Hopefully this might give him a foot up or edge on living with this.

My thoughts are with Andrew, you and Hugh, and during all of this, don't forget to take some time for yourself.

Take care

Teacher Toni said...

Hi FM!

Sorry I didn't check in earlier. How could I forget his uncles?!

Thanks for the warm wishes, I appreciate it