Thursday, February 5, 2009

Not exactly nostalgia

I'm not a very sentimental person. I don't sit around moping about the inevitable changes that happen to places that tie me to my past. Of all the places that have disappeared since my wistful youth, I only miss three of them - School Kids Records, Drakes, and the original Borders. Ironically, all of those places were within three blocks of each other in Ann Arbor.

Lately, I have been feeling like I'm missing the past, a little. I find that I miss living in the States.

I was overwhelmed with the desire to move home last weekend. I was running errands in the Detroit area and quite suddenly it hit me. I sense that this feeling has been growing since the presidential election. I want very much to do what I can to help fix the mess from the past eight years. Here in Windsor, my ability to affect change in the States is somewhat muted. I know that I should concentrate on helping Windsor through the same tough times that Detroit is experiencing. I just don't feel the same attachment to Windsor as I feel to Detroit. If someone asks me where I'm from, I'm still just as likely to say Detroit.

Maybe once the weather breaks I'll start to reconnect with my neighborhood.

No comments: