Thursday, February 26, 2009

An Up Date

When a parent thinks that her child might have a condition like Asperger's, the best thing to do is to get right to business.

Yesterday, I told Andrew's teacher that we wanted to proceed with any testing that would be available. She in turned got word to the special education coordinator for my son's school. Because she knows my husband, she e-mailed him, asking him to call.

He spoke with the special education coordinator who told him that the waiting list for testing through the school district is a year. She suggested that we use Children First. This is an organization with which we have been involved since Andrew came home. They have helped us with information about attachment, speech/language development, and even toilet training. To be honest, I don't know what we would have done without all of the wonderful people from their organization.

I e-mailed the speech pathologist who has been assigned to Andrew's case for the whole time. No sooner had I done that than she knocked on our door. It turned out that we had an appointment today with her and the social worker. We had not written down the appointment, so we weren't expecting them. They will put us on their testing waiting list. Unlike the school, the wait list for Children First is only seven or eight months long. That means some time in the fall, Andrew will be assessed.

In the meantime, on top of all the reading I have to do for the AP course, I will now have to add books about Asperger's. It seems I always have four books on the go. Maybe that is why I never finish one.

Thank you to everyone who has sent ways thoughts this way. I truly appreciate it.

No comments: