Saturday, May 16, 2009

Best Concerts

FM has requested a topic from me. I am a very kind person, so I am going to kindly oblige my friend. Here are the Top 5 concerts I have ever attended.

1. The Clash (1983-ish): This was my first concert and it took place at the beautiful Fox Theatre. We were in row three and I remember very distinctly that I was wearing my leather motorcycle jacket. I also remember the boys sitting behind us. They were wearing varsity jackets and were completely stoned out of their minds. They couldn't even sit up properly to watch the show. Joe Strummer was amazing, tearing through each punk classic with passion. My ears rang for a weak after the show.

2. Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers (3/27/2009): There were so many personal magical moments in this evening, I am not sure where to start. The meet and greet gave me a chance to get my geek on. Then Glenn call ME on stage. After the show, I had the opportunity to hang out with Glenn. Plus, his stage persona here was so different than the one he projects on stage with Squeeze. He was buoyant and chatty, a side I had never seen and I have seen Squeeze in concert six times.

3. Rent: La Boeheme set to rock music, this musical shook me to my core the first time I saw it. I cried the first time the cast sang "Seasons of Love" and then I couldn't stop weeping when Angel died. I just love this musical.

4. The Violent Femmes (1986-ish): This show occurred well past their heyday. But, if all a band has is that magical debut record that everyone of my generation has, that's enough for a show. Everyone in the audience could sing every single song, which made for a joyous atmosphere.

5. They Might Be Giants (2005): We went to this concert just before we went to China. The show took place in the Majestic, which is not air conditioned. Enormous fans were place around the perimeter to the seatless audience section. The crowd was a family crowd because the band had just release a kids CD (Robot Parade - it's great). We all looked miserable due to the heat, until the band came out. By the end of the evening, the audience had formed a conga line and the band had screamed "thank you to the lady in glasses" and pointed at me.

* Bonus - All Squeeze shows except the 2008 show. Chris Difford looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. Other than show, they have been awesome everytime I have seen them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you have been to some great shows! I am very jealous that you got to see Joe Strummer. I plan to see They Might Be Giants this September here in Raleigh. They do a kids show now, and I might go to that one too!

Teacher Toni said...

They Might Be Giants will be great. You'll really like it. Joe Strummer was just amazing. I was very sad when I heard that he died.

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

I don't know why, but there are only three concerts that are coming to mind. I don't know why I can't think of the others I went to, but it will come to me sooner or later.

Hi Toni,

I don’t have the dates down, but here goes……..

1. The Who – very early 70’s. My very first concert. I couldn’t believe the volume.

2. David Bowie – Diamond Dogs concert. All around it was an outstanding concert.

3. Todd Rundgren – Early 70’s. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’ve always liked him.

Teacher Toni said...

FM,

I saw The Who in the mid 80s. Unfortunately there were some serious cokeheads in front of us who marred the experience.

I did see Mr. Bowie - on his Glass Spider tour, probably the late 80s.

Thanks for sharing.