Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mother's Day

Shhh...I have a confession to make. I'm just not that hip on Hallmark holidays. Valentine's, Sweetest Day, you name it, I don't really celebrate it. This creates a small dilemma. This coming Sunday is, of course, Mother's Day. The papers are loaded with jewelry ads, chocolate ads, even small kitchen appliance ads. None of it is particularly appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I like flowers and chocolate. I'm not that big on bling and if anyone ever buys me a small kitchen appliance as a gift - I hope he likes the guest room.

What I want more than anything on Sunday is a day on my own - perhaps to wander the Detroit Institute of Arts. I'd have a chance to actually look at artwork without worrying that small hands are trying to reach through the canvas. Maybe I'd even take my notebook and try to do some writing.

Of course, I'd also settle for a night where I could go dancing at a loud, dark bar. I've been wanting to do this for months. I don't know why. Logically, I understand that those dancing days are long gone. I haven't been dancing in 10 years. I miss it. That would be a great gift.

A blender, on the other hand, would suck.

2 comments:

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

Hey here's an idea. Why don't you tell your husband what you want. That way he doesn't have to guess and you're happy with what you get.

Than again, everyone can always use another blender. :)

Teacher Toni said...

Oh, I'll tell him eventually. I think I'll stick with the museum idea. He just won't get the dancing thing.