Monday, May 11, 2009

Time Travel

This is a game that I play frequently. It usually happens when friends and I are cooking an elaborate meal and consuming too much wine (as if there is such a quantity). I'm usually the one who starts it. It starts with the question: If you could travel to any time to see any musical act, who would it be? I'll give you my top five.

1. David Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars tour. Debauchery on stage - I'm there.
2. The Beatles at Shea Stadium. I want to be a part of history.
3. The Smiths, any time. On the day of my high school graduation party, the Smiths were performing in town (I can't remember the venue). I begged my mother to let me go, but nooooooo. Those relatives had come to see me. Sigh, it appears that I might have to bring this up with my therapist.
4. Lollapalooza #1. What was I thinking? Pearl Jam? Siouxie and the Banshees? The Red Hot Chili Peppers? I can't believe I didn't go.
5. Woodstock. I promise that I would not have taken the brown acid.

Which performers would you travel back in time to see?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

T,

It was the Queen is Dead tour....and it was at that fabled Fox Theatre..and it was fabulous....though they did not play "What Difference Does It Make", a Great Disappointment in my silly life.

C

maryb said...

I'd go all the way back to 1937 when there was a Battle of the Bands at the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem - the Benny Goodman Orchestra challenged Chick Webb's band (Ella Fitzgerald was the vocalist). Webb won.

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks Chuck - rub in in :)

Mary - that Battle of the Bands would have been amazing. Was it really fair that Chick Webb had Ella on his side?

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

I'm not sure I can do five, but here goes......

David Bowie - I saw his Diamond Dogs concert, but I agree I would have liked to have seen Ziggy.

I'm not sure on the time lines, but I would have liked to have seen YES, Jethro Tull, Beatles during Sgt Pepper, and I have to agree with Mary. My parents loved big band music and that's what I heard when I was growing up. Maybe not particularly that time and place that Mary has, but I would have loved to have seen some of the big bands back then.

Next time on the concerts, why not ask the top five best you ever went to. Now I've got that down pat. :)

Teacher Toni said...

Okay FM - Next one is for you!!