Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A first

One of the issues with Andrew's autism is that he has never spontaneously told me that he loves me. Usually, he'll turn his head (eye contact - never) and mumble the words, after I have prompted him several times.

I've been extremely busy these last few weeks. Homecoming is a mere three weeks into school and I have been meeting with Student Council in order to hit the ground running. I want us to have a significantly better year than we had last year. Anyway, that has taken me away from home for whole work days at a time. My husband has told me that Andrew asks after me several times a day - which is his way of saying he misses me.

Last night, after yet another day apart, I was leaving Andrew's room so he could go to sleep. He had already told me, with a huge grin on his face, that he would not give me a hug or a kiss, so I started to walk out of the room. He grabbed my hand to prevent me from leaving and said "I need you Momma. I love you soooo much." Needless to say, I immediately began to cry like a baby. He, of course, repeated the phrase a dozen times in a row and asked me to lay down with him. I did for a few minutes and then left.

I floated on air for the rest of the night. My little guy is going to be just fine.

5 comments:

olivia said...

This warmed my insides Toni ... I'm so happy for you ... :)

Unknown said...

Oh fine, now you make ME cry as well. What a great moment between you two. :)

Teacher Toni said...

I'm still getting a little misty over it this morning.

CG said...

And now I'm gushy too. What a sweet story.

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

I am so happy for you and Andrew. Isn't parenthood great!

Take care

FM