Sunday, December 20, 2009

2009 - a year so fine?

Lately, the papers and other media are replete with stories reviewing 2009. Seeing as I desperately desire to break into the writing business, I thought that I should add my two cents on the subject. The biggest event for me in 2009 was my sabbatical.

Andrew started school in the fall of 2008 and took the whole 2008-2009 school year off. By the time January rolled around, I had realized that I was not meant to be a stay-at-home mom. I was deeply depressed and bored. Due to the loss of my salary, we had no money and I was constantly worried about the debt we had incurred over the previous three years. I did not express these concerns aloud and instead internalized it all.

Despite those negatives, I would have to say that taking a year off from my job was the best career decision I have ever made. I am not sure that I would be able to continue as a teacher if I had worked last year. I work in a high stress, high needs, low resource school district and I felt ready to snap by the time June 2008 rolled around. The place still makes me crazy, but, I feel that I have gained a better perspective on the insanity. It doesn't quite roll of my back like water from a duck, but at least the acid reflex has not returned.

As a mom, the year proved to me that I am a good mother. Previously, I had my doubts. Andrew was happy and healthy. He and I bonded in a manner that had not existed before I took this sojourn. There were, naturally, obstacles that emerged. I now feel far more confident to tackle the hard times than I had before.

Would I ever take another year off? Our contract allows one more leave. Depending on my circumstances, I might consider it. I would have a plan to beat back the depression and Andrew will of course be older. But, I sense that there are many changes on my horizon that will make this decision for me.

No comments: