Saturday, December 5, 2009

For C.D.W.

I was quite recently chided by a self-proclaimed "faithful reader" that I needed to provide some content here on the old blog. It's another Saturday night spent at home contemplating school work and drinking Bailey's, so I'm game.

Perhaps an up-date on the novel would be apropos this evening. I am into chapter six and I find that I need to do a fair bit of research to complete the chapter. I need to research cabins and wooded areas in the northern Lower Peninsula. I saw the season's first snow flakes, so I guess I will wait until spring for that bit of research.

I have been in contact with an editor who is willing to look over what I have written thus far and make suggestions. The editor also runs a self-publishing company, which is how I think I will publish the book once it is done. Two published writers have looked over some early chapters and have given me useful feedback. One thing that everyone seems to like is my use of dialogue and how it seems to jump off the page.

I will probably try to plunk out a few words tonight. Vacation will be a wonderful thing because I plan on writing everyday.

I will leave my readers with a serious question, not driven by any alcohol consumption. If two characters in the book are sexually involved, how explicit should the description be? Currently, I have included two scenes in the book that explicitly imply that sex is imminent, but I leave out the salacious details. Your thoughts would be most welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I am flattered as all get-out for the dedication, I, in turn, feel some responsibility to respond.

What about the sexual encounters will primarily affect the behavior of your characters? Will it be experiences during sexual acts (physical/emotional) upon which your characters might fixate? If you want your reader to understand a character frozen in a moment, we will probably have to be there for (at least some of) that moment.

Will it be aftermaths, and/or ramifications of that encounter that would weigh heavier in importance to the story line? Then those times that follow receive greater emphasis.

In my mind, this is the key to how contextual actual moments of sexual contact may be, and their subsequent explicitness. All other societal considerations are less relevant to me.

Goodness, I use a lot of $5 words.

Teacher Toni said...

Well, CDW, you've raised many great points that I need to consider.

The first scene is the couple's first encounter. It is after weeks of flirtations that started rather innocently. I should mention that the female is married, while her friend is divorced.

I have hidden most of the "juicy action" because the pair needs to hide the relationship and that will become harder as the book goes on, due to the circumstances that arise at their job. They cannot control those events.

The next is very coy, after they were nearly caught by someone. We get a hint, but I hold back from the reader because they are not yet out of the woods.

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

I really don't know what to say on how far you should go on the sexual encounters. I think Anonymous said it well on how it will affect the characters, or what memories it will bring back to them.

Other than that, I've got not much to say except I hope you and the family are doing well.

Take care

Anonymous said...

I agree with C.D.W., but with this addition. I think the nature of the act should reveal the character's true nature to some degree too. (selfish, desperate,loving,not thinking at all, etc.) Love your blog!

Teacher Toni said...

FM,

The first comment gave me lots to think about and I'm glad for it. It will force me to examine more closely as I write.

I'm curious as to the identity of the last comment maker. Did you just stumble into my little world or do we know each other?