Monday, December 28, 2009

2009 Redux

The third big event of 2009 occurred in the area of health. This was the year that I discovered that I have spinal osteoporosis. I felt devastated for quite a while after the diagnosis, like roll me into that nursing home. But, unlike my grandmother who up and quit when she broke her hip, I wanted to do what I could to get better.

I hit the gym. Weight bearing exercises are good for the bones, so I went three to four times a week. Then, once spring arrived, I walked in the morning and worked out after Andrew went to bed. I started to feel great and the weight fell off. From January to August, I dropped 30 pounds. That might be my proudest accomplishment.

I can't quite maintain that schedule now that I am back to work. I get to the gym twice a week and I try to exercise a little at home. I still have to worry about my back, especially now that winter is here; I can't risk falling on the ice. It's still a drag to have this old ladies' condition. Now, if I can just hold off the need for bifocals, I can maintain the illusion of youth.

2 comments:

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

I don't know if I had told you before, but I have the same thing. Well that along with the five other things the doctor diagnosed with my back. I thought I was doing fairly well until they did a bone density test and the doctor told me I had the bones of a 90 y.o. man. Pretty much a shocker.

It seems like to the day I turned 40 I needed bi-focals. I think I lost the illusion of youth a long time ago. :)

I'm glad to see you're doing well with your exercise and keep it up.

Stay warm and off the ice.

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks for coming around FM. I didn't ask my doctor how old my bones were. I'm not sure I want to know. She might just tell me that I'm a walking fossil!