Friday, January 1, 2010

Goals, not resolutions

A resolution sounds so definitive. That is why I don't make New Year's resolutions. I usually end up completely disappointed in myself for breaking these grand proclamations. What I prefer to do is to set some reasonably attainable goals and see how that goes.

My first goal is to finish the novel by the end of 2010. I am currently in chapter seven and I need to go back and fill in some research. I'm not worried about that. I need to try and give myself 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week to write. Ideally, I would write everyday, but I'm trying to be reasonable.

Another goal is to have more Andrew and momma dates. Since I've returned to work, I've become completely bogged down in grading, planning, or recovering. I have not spent time with Andrew the way I'd like, so that will change.

I'd like to read more, primarily non-school books. I'm hoping to be able to get through a book every month, either fiction or non-fiction. Again, since school started, I hardly have time to read the paper and that has to stop.

When I was in high school, I lived and breathed music. I knew the coolest bands not on regular radio. I'd like to discover a few of those bands this year. If a radio station plays Lady Gaga, then it won't play the bands I want to hear. If you've got any suggestions, I'll take them. Also in the category of music, I would love to attend four or five non-Tilbrook concerts. Of course, I'd settle for two Tilbrook Detroit area shows.

There are a gazillion jobs to do here in my old house. Many of them can be done without the aid of a contractor. Alas, they remain undone. I have decided to just do them myself and if I can't I am going to hire someone who can.

Finally, after attending my uncle's funeral, I realize that there are three cousins with whom I'd really like to reconnect. I'm going to work hard to make that happen.

Do you make resolutions or set goals for a new year? What are they?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As far as discovering new music, I find that Pandora is excellent because you start with one artist or song that you like and it analyzes something like 300 different elements of that song and then plays others that you almost invariably like and have probably never heard of. You get 40 free hours a month. I have my laptop hooked up to a wireless sound system and that's all I need in the house.

As far as goals, and I'm serious about this, I want to become someone who sets goals and then works towards them. I've actually never done that in my life....and it shows.

maryb said...

All that sounds reasonable and if you achieve only parts of it you will have made big steps. I'd like to know more new music too - I find that my friends with kids are better at finding it than I am. My biggest problem has always been in remembering the names of songs and artists so that I can go find the music after I've heard something I like.

Happy New Year!

Teacher Toni said...

Laura - I'll have to try Pandora. What a great tip to start the new year.

If you really struggle with goals, start small, like for the day and then build to the week.

Mary - Sometime I find myself scrambling in the car to write down the name of some song/band. That rarely works as I never find paper! Then I forget to check the station web-site for the playlist.

Happy new year to both of you.

Family Man said...

Hi Toni,

I quit making resolutions a long time ago. Same as you, I would become disappointed with myself for not following through. I think small goals are the best bet. The goals you've written down look good and if not all are attainable then some are. The biggest thing is to not ever come down on yourself for not getting everything done.

I think Laura's suggestion about Pandora is a good one. I'm not into music as much as I used to be, so it's hit or miss with me.

I hope you had a great New Year and that this year will be the best for you.

Take care.