Monday, January 25, 2010

One of those women

When I got married, I decided to NOT change my last name. I cannot really say why, I just did not want to. I like my last name. It is funny how here in the 21st century people will still not fully accept a woman for making that decision.

At the time, the wife of a friend asked me, basically, what my problem was. My mother hyphenated all the mail she sent to my house. My friends also hyphenated my name. Heck, sometimes my friends, who knew my decision, would send a card to me with my husband's last name. I understood older people, for example my mother-in-law, but I just did not understand those people under fifty, especially women.

Even better is if I cross the border with Andrew alone. He and his father have the same last name. The Homeland Security officers often ask me why I have a different last name. I usually try to lighten the mood, rather than snap, and explain that I am one of THOSE women. That actually works. Is there still a stigma attached to women who do not change their names after marriage?

2 comments:

Rabia M said...

there's nothing wrong with that!!
your identity doesn't change when you get married....

as Shakespeare said "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet..."

Teacher Toni said...

How good of you to quote Shakespeare Rabia I couldn't have said it better myself.