Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Now what

I had an appointment with an editor today and I am currently more confused than I had been previously.

I made the appointment because I wanted some neutral third party feedback. A couple of my friends from school and a writer friend have read my book, but who among them will tell me to get my damn verbs in order or tell me that my characters are flat. I might cry upon hearing those words, but if that is the case (and I know that my verb tenses are a mess) than I need to hear it.

This editor works at home and is currently editing a full-length non-fiction book. I can only imagine that a task like that is enormous. She asked me about my story and I told her and the reaction was, well, nothing. Not even a hint that my story might spark some interest in people outside of the teaching profession. I have always realized that my target audience might be too narrow, but I have been working hard at keep teacher-talk to a minimum.

She gave it a cursory glance, told me that my beginning was a little confusing and could be stronger. Okay, fair. That was it. I did not expect her to read all 31 pages that I brought, but I thought that a glace at each chapter might be in order.We then talked about the process, how extensive the notes would be, cost, and a time frame. I don't expect to be done with the book until next December. I could not, however, expect any feedback from her until March. I did not sign a contract, and I am glad, because I am having some second thoughts.

Should I look for an editor with a little more time? Should I look for one that seems to show a hint of interest in the story? I just don't know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How about a writer's group where you can get some valuable feedback and encouragement? She sounds like kind of a snot.

Teacher Toni said...

I have just become a member of a Detroit-area writers group. Now, I just have to show up at a workshop. Believe me, I've got the schedule in hand at this moment.