Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Big Move

About a month ago, I found a townhouse to rent. It has three bedrooms, one-and-a-half baths, and a basement - all for only $850 a month. The owner has just finished putting in a new furnace and will put in new windows starting in January. It's not perfect, but it suits my needs and it's only five blocks from the house.

I'm not moving in right away, not fully anyway. I have no furniture, no dishes, no shelves - nothing. Plus, we still need to find a counselor who will help us ease Andrew into the new reality. It may seem like a waste of money, but I wanted to stay in the neighborhood, so I was going to jump on anything close by and decent.

Right now, I don't know how to proceed. Do I start with furniture? Perhaps a bed, so I can start sleeping there. Optimistically, I could have a little fun if I get a bedroom set. Perhaps I should get a couch, a sleeper sofa? That could fill two needs at once.

Perhaps I need to move those objects I don't use all the time and work on shelves in the basement. Andrew wouldn't notice those missing objects, as they are mostly hidden from view. How much should I lean on my friends to cross the border and help me? It's expensive to cross the border and I don't want to become a burden. Crap!

Perhaps I should just start moving all my books. Those are in the basement and also won't be missed. They'll sit in boxes for a while, but at least the place will look a little lived in.

Why is it that one answer to one problem only leads to millions of smaller questions without answers? That one was rhetorical.

No comments: