Saturday, January 29, 2011

Good-bye

I came home last night from six wonderful performances at the Ann Arbor Folk Festival only to be greeted with the news that my dad passed away last night. My mother called the house about ten minutes before I walked in.

I feel numb and can't quite wrap my head around the notion that my dad is gone. He'd been in the hospital since December 30 and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about two weeks ago. We knew that he didn't have much time. All we didn't know was if the cancer would take him, or if it was going to be the pneumonia that had loaded his lungs with fluid, or if his heart, artificially kept pumping by a defibrillator, would finally stop.

My mom told me that he went to sleep after Jeopardy (of course) and when the nurses checked in on him later, he was unresponsive. He went in his sleep, just as I had been hoping would happen. He was 72.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that that dad passed away, Toni. I never really knew my dad, because he died when we were all kids, and I've always wondered how it would be to be an adult with a father. I suspect that you're just never really ready for it to be the last time you see him, so saying goodbye is a difficult thing to grasp. It sounds like he had a relatively peaceful time of things and maybe you can find some comfort in that. Now I will go call my mother in Ohio...something I always view as somewhat of a chore but today I'll make an effort to enjoy it.

Hope you get through the next several days okay.

Laura M.

Mundane - Part 2 said...

Hi Toni,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad passing. You can look at it that he had a peaceful passing.

FMom passed away in her sleep; and as you, that's what I had hoped would happen too.

Take care,

FM

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks Laura and FM.