Thursday, February 3, 2022

Snow Days

 I'm very pro-snow day. I've never hidden that fact from anyone, not even my students. On Tuesday, the day before a soon-to-be-announced snow day, I told my students that snow days were like a ten dollar bill you find in your pocket before you throw your jeans in the was. It's a gift, a true delight. 

I get really annoyed when I see adults complaining about snow days. I know that I should not take comments from social media seriously, but it does push this narrative that we're coddling kids and that teachers are lazy. I try not to take it personally, but I truly don't get that mindset.

Just as Covid hit, a quarter of US workers did not have access to paid sick days. Story after story tells us that Americans don't take sick days. The US has zero mandatory vacation days and only 10 federal holidays. Do we really think more work is the answer? Why are we so tied to work?

Pre-pandemic, the happiness score for the US had been very low for the "shining city on a hill." For 2020, it came in at 14, still far short of its mythology and propaganda.

I think an important question is, "why are we so miserable?" More importantly, why do we think our children should be as miserable as the adults? Until we can sort that out, I don't have much faith that things will get better.



No comments: