Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Another Poem

 I'm a bit surprised by how much I've been writing lately. Maybe I'm writing so much because my school district is online right now to avoid Omicron. In person, when my students are working independently, I wander around the room and engage them in conversation about the task or subject, asking questions that, I hope, spur on critical thinking. While they're working independently online, I kind of just stare at the screen and remind them to ask if they need help. That leaves me some time on my hands and what better to do with that time than write.

I'm also participating in a 5-day Mindful Writing Challenge. I also wrote with this challenge last year. I'm sitting down everyday, intentionally writing. That makes a huge difference.

I won't share the prompt that I'm given, but I do want to share the poem that I wrote for Day 1. I usually write fiction and only dabble in poetry. Since the pandemic hit, I have found myself writing a lot more poetry. I don't know why. I do know that I've struggled with fiction since the pandemic has started. 

As I said, I want to share the poem I wrote for day 1. This is the first love poem I have ever written in my life. I hope you enjoy it.

To My Friend

The impossible jubilance in your smile

blossoms hope in my heart that

maybe,

just maybe

love is growing in the orchard of our friendship.

I have lived too long in the shade of loneliness;

I can't read the signs,

if, indeed, there are signs.

The warmth of your kindness burns away the shadows,

leaving the tantalizing sweetness of

our conversations

on my tongue.


No comments: