Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Do you know anyone’s name?

Today was Andrew’s second day of Junior Kindergarten. He attends school everyday for a half-day. So far, so good. He has looked pretty dazed both days as I pick him up.

That dazed look, while normal I am sure, always worries me. Since we have brought him home from China, his only playmates have been us. We have no family with small cousins. We have a number of still single and childless friends, and our street has been devoid of little guys his age. The children we do know live an hour or two away.

We have put him in classes and sent him to Montessori to interact with other children. Yet, he still makes us as his first choice playmates. I teach teenagers, so I know that I should relish this as long as I can. I still wish that he could tell me the name of at least one classmate.

I guess that I have first week jitters that I am sure will pass.

No comments: