Wednesday, July 20, 2011

London - more of the magical mystery tour

When I last left you, breathlessly waiting for my next installment, I had spent the evening at an old punk bar. The rest of my trip goes as such:

Day Five

A glorious sunny day with perfect temperatures. I wish I could have captured this weather in a bottle and pulled it out whenever I wanted. Anyway, I spent the morning wandering through Borough market. It's a little like Eastern Market, but bigger. I could have easily gotten lost there, but I had plans - a groundling ticket to see Much Ado About Nothing at the rebuilt Globe. Before my trip, I hadn't had the time to read the play, and because I like surprises, I even blew off Sparknotes. I am very glad that I went in ignorant. The play was a wonderful little romp. I stood up against the stage at stage left, so my view was blocked from time to time. I stood next the a high school principal from New Zealand and his wife. My only regret was that I left my camera at the hotel. My confirmation email stated no cameras. I took a couple of shots with my global phone, but I haven't been able to upload them. I took a break that evening as I rushed back to Skype with my beamish boy.

Day Six

Rain, with a smattering of Mitzi sunshine. I spent the whole day with my new friend Mitzi. We walked through Soho, a ritzy shopping part of town, and a naughty bit of town. We stopped in used record stores. We shopped at more street markets. The day started at St. Paul's in the driving rain, so we did not climb the stairs to the top of the cathedral. It was an endless blast, marred only by the newly formed blisters on my heels from my new shoes. Oh well. We ate dinner at a fab vegan Chinese restaurant and ended the day at a pub in Chalk Farm with Simon and Nic. They cleverly helped me devise a plan to bring Andrew to London, instead of Paris. I would stay in Wales with Mitzi. Then we would move to London, where Andrew would ride in the cab of the Tube with Simon (so sayeth Nic). We could travel to Paris for a couple of days and see the Eiffel Tower and come back to London. Sounds like a plan.

Day Seven

A bit of a wash out. I made it to the National Gallery. The museum is packed with beautiful works, most of it old. I do prefer more modern and less religious pieces. Still, I was very impressed with the Impressionists I saw, plus several Van Goghs, and (my favorite) Cezanne. As I left, the skies opened up and left a deluge on the city, so I took my sore feet back to the hotel.

Day Eight

I dumped the painful shoes and headed Kensingston way. I found the Royal Albert Hall and picked up a few rocks for my son. Then I headed to the Museum of Natural History where I played mommy by proxy and took pictures of fossils and rocks. The building was beautiful and I would love to bring Andrew here. The number of people is completely overwhelming. In the evening, I tried to take the Jack the Ripper tour, but the guide didn't show up. The pouring rain must have had something to do with that.

Day Nine

Can you tell I'm running out of steam. I miss my son desperately and I'm actually ready to get back to routine and move into my new place. I spent the morning, which was sunny at St. Paul's. By the time I got there, I realized that I was touristed out, so I headed to some suggested shopping areas. On the tube from St. Paul's, I discovered something in my hair. I plucked it out, but that rotten little bee stung me, right at my hairline, before I flung it to the ground. While shopping, nothing caught my fancy. I must have been tired. I headed back to Camden and did some serious damage, including a pair of brown Doc Martens and a pair of purple Doc Martens boots. I've been told that one can ever have too many pairs of Doc Martens, so now I have three pairs. Fish and chips for dinner at Oliver's was okay. The portion was huge and I'm afraid I wasted a lot of food. By this point, I was whipped and ready to turn in, so back to Skype with Andrew and sweet sleep.

I'll save the last day for tomorrow.

No comments: