Tuesday, July 19, 2011

London - a post from the rain

I've been so busy that I've not written about the other days of the trip. Tonight's on-again, off-again rain will prevent me from going on my intended pub walk, so I might as well write.

Day Three
I went to a concert, not a big deal.

Wait, this is the whole reason I came to London - to see Squeeze perform at Rochester Castle!!!!!!

Simon and his wife Nic picked me as I "hitchhiked" along the road and we headed off on our hour long journey. The scenery wasn't particularly striking, so Nic and I chatted pretty much the whole way. We parked a long way from the venue and walked, maybe two miles. The weather was cloudy and cold. I was wearing a long tank top dress, my jean jacket, and sandals. I was fairly miserable for a while. Once we got to the actual castle, we ran into other members of the Squeeze family: Sue, Garry, Val, Gill, and Mitzi. Rumor had it that the sound check would be open to the public. Before that happened, the ladies (and Garry) wandered down to a restaurant just down the gate from the castle. Most order food, but Nic and packed a lunch, so neither of us ate and just order half-pints. Back to the castle ground where I met Tami and her friend Diane and to the start of the sound check. The sound check was interesting in that portions of it were silent, audible only to the guys via their headsets. Once they turned on the sound, there were Italian teenage tourists who were both mocking the band and dancing to them. I did not hit anybody, I promise. We ate on the lawn, drank red wine (and I was fine), and then bellied up to the barrier in order to secure our spot in the very front.

The Lightening Seeds opened the night with an acoustic show. There was one song I knew (the name of which is now gone) and I tried really hard, but I damn near fell asleep during their set. I was, however, fully awake for the main act. From the opening chords of "Black Coffee in Bed," I danced and sang with other Squeeze fanatics. Finally, I felt like I wasn't just taking people to indulge me in my musical fantasy. I was surrounded by like-minded friends.

The show ended and Simon and Nic had to work in the morning, so we took the long walk back to the car. By this time, my toes were nicely frozen. I dozed on and off in the back seat. We talked about the Casey Anthony verdict and we listened to BBC.

My only mild regret - these were the only Squeeze shows of late where I did not get a picture with Glenn :(

Day Four

I love the Tate Modern. No, let me restate that. I LOVE THE TATE MODERN!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was beautiful: the Miro exhibit, the Lichtenstein paintings, everything. It was on this day that I seriously believed that I could live in a city like London. The choice of cultural events is mind-boggling. Lunch was out-of-control delicious: fettuccine with wild mushrooms, red chard, and aged Pecorino. Wash that down with a chardonnay and top it off with two scoops of sea salt caramel ice cream and caramel sauce. Oh yeah!

That evening, I went to a pub called the Hope and Anchor to meet Mitzi and see her friends the Glamweazels. She had put my name on the guest list (a first in my life) and I got there a little late. The band was quite good, but the set was short. I met yet another Squeeze fan - Jim. Mitzi had to leave early, but she put Jim in charge of making sure I was safely returned to my train, which he did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so jealous of your visit to see Miro.. your trip sounds great. Marty

Billy O. said...

You didn't mention meeting me! And I'm quite sure that was the highlight of your entire holiday. In fact i wouldn't be at all surprised if if it was one of your life's golden moments. xx

Teacher Toni said...

Marty - Miro was amazing!

Billy - I must be honest, everything takes a backseat to the moment that Glenn Tilbrook sees me, says "Love what are you doing here?" Then, he gives me a kiss right on the lips :)It was a pleasure to meet you, though.