Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thing 3

Blogs in school? Sadly, anything closely resembling a host for blogs is blocked in my school. I can see a definite use in my class, in particular my AP Literature class. I can see a blog taking the place of a reader's notebook, with students keeping notes on-line as they progress through a novel or play. Or, I could ask them to reflect on a poem. Sadly, I could read none of that at school and I'd hate to sentence myself to yet more work at home. My only option is to see how I could employ a wiki in my class, a goal I had already set for August. If that framework is viable, I will put that to work in my AP class for the fall. I think my students would respond very enthusiastically to a blog assignment, especially if I don't run that play option too often.

Some of the blogs that I read were not class blogs, but instead blogs about the school day. I am a reflective practitioner of my profession. I regularly read recent, research-based books about teaching. The last thing I want to do is to turn my blog (or start another one) into the day in the life of teaching. I already find that I find myself easily consumed with how needy my students are, both academically and personally. If I wrote about my day, everyday, would it stop the current assault on the teaching profession, creating empathy? I don't think so. I'm interested in so much more in the world and I'm interested in exploring those sides of me. It carries no more interest than maintaining a strict mommy or a strict autism blog. Those issues are not the sole qualities that define who I am.

Would I use a blog for my classes? Yes. Would I maintain a "teacher blog"? No.

2 comments:

techexplorer21 said...

Dear Tunnel Traveller,
I would keep a student blog, and am a bit apprehensive about having a classroom blog. Well, I could have a basic blog on classroom rules, rubrics, homework assignments and such. I share your trepidation of having information from our classroom open to "helicopter parents." Teachers are being villified throughout the U.S. These are very difficult times for educators like us.
Peace to you,
earthlaketeacher

Debra Cohn said...

Since you enjoy using a blog, you could make it magical for your AP students. You are the perfect teacher to utilize blogging. I encourage you because I know your fortunate students will benefit from it. I am just a beginner, and I'm gonna give it a go.