Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Not a Bucket List

In three months, I will turn 48.  This is a bit mind-boggling to me. In my mind, I'm still in my 30s.  Last week at dinner with a high school, we marveled at the idea that we were really only a couple of years from turning 50.  I have no idea what that is supposed to feel like. When my dad turned 50, we threw an over-the-hill party for him.   I don't feel old. I exercise far more than my parents did.  I go to concerts. I travel.

I am realistic, though. I know that my body might indeed become more and more uncooperative.  Because of that, I've made a list of 50 things I'd like to accomplish before I hit the half-century milestone.  Most of the list consists of little things, many of which I have put off from my younger days. I'd like to roll these things out over the next few days.  Here are the first five items on my Not A Bucket List.

1.  Play Let It Be on the piano. This is probably my favorite song of all time. The lyric s and sentiment have a great deal of meaning to me.  I want to be able to play a passable version of it when I need it.

2.  I want to make a pie, with a non-graham cracker crust.  I cannot lie, pie crust frightens me.  I feel like I don't have the right touch when rolling out dough of any type. I WILL overcome this fear before I turn 50.

3.  I would like to attend a weekend long silent meditation retreat.  Meditation has been a vital key to my return to health and I would like to deepen my practice.

4.  I have visited 14 states.  Not bad.  I would like to visit at least one more new state before my 50th.  Preferably one where the theocrats have not taken over the government.

5.  I want to get arrested for an act of civil disobedience.  If you know me, this requires no explanation. 

No comments: