Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Name this car and win!

Ships get names all the time. If I'm to trust Wikipedia, the tradition has existed for thousands of years. It seems that the ancients chose names that would protect the sailors.

It stands to reason that, seeing as most of us will never be sailors, our ancestors, who still reside in our souls, should urge us to name our current mode of transportation - our cars. I have known many people who have named their cars. I think my dad would call each of his cars Bessie - though I don't know why. A former student named her car Bob. I, on the other hand, have never named a car. All of the cars I have owned have been the lowest end model, a mere utilitarian vehicle to get from point A to Point B. I have, however, just purchased a new (to me) car. A 2009 Mini Cooper S. It is my dream car. I have wanted a Mini since it was re-introduced to the North American market. I am in superficial consumer heaven.

Because this car is so special to me, I think it deserves a name. So, I am asking you, my loyal and international readers to help me decide on a name. All you have to do is leave a comment here (not on FB, Twitter, or Google+) with your suggested name. I will then ask my sixth hour English 12 class to choose from all the suggestions. If I have a way to get a hold of you, I will email you, get your address, and send you a small prize.

RULES
1. If you are related to me - don't enter.
2. If you are a current student - don't enter.
3. Only names posted here on the blog are valid.
4. Deadline - Wednesday, September, September 7 11:59 EST.

Here it is - hope you feel inspired.



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. I'm going with Cedric or Jeeves. If it's a boy. ~ Laura M.

Teacher Toni said...

It is, of course, a boy. Your entries are duly noted.

Dan said...

Mariah the Mini

Gill said...

I'd name it Surbie. In honour of my hometown where the Cooper Car Company originated... and also cos it rhymes with Herbie, which is another very cute wee vehicle :)

Anonymous said...

Sir Squeezington of Balmoral? ~ Laura M

Dan said...

Oops, should have known it's a boy. In that case, Mac the Mini.

Alex said...

Watson or Wellington

Shae said...

Milo

EMWP Liz B said...

The Elephant Ride

tami said...

Glenn...D'oh...It's obvs innit!

Anonymous said...

I think Jools would be obscure but cool. I also like Gill's Surbie!!
(BTW, this is Kriss:-)

Teacher Toni said...

This is what I want to see. The competition is heating up now.

Anonymous said...

Coops

Lee R. xx

johnnyauto said...

Keep it simple. Just call it Reddy. As in red and ready to go!

Anonymous said...

I'm going with Toni's Pony!

Teacher Toni said...

Hey, Anonymous who left Toni's Pony, you currently are ineligible to win (heartbreaking, I know). If you want to be in the running, you'll have to leave a name.

Anonymous said...

I say you should name him Hossenffer Cosby Sweater, Hossie for short!