Friday, August 19, 2011

Thing 18

Yet another useful site that can be used to eliminate student excuses. slideshare is a site where one can upload a PowerPoint presentation and share it publicly. No more, "I forgot my flash drive" or "it won't open on your computer." If this site isn't blocked and I can open it on my laptop, the presentation is saved. It also gives me the opportunity to go back and look at a presentation for things I might have missed, for example spelling mistakes.

I'm not sure how I would use this outside of the classroom. I'm not in a position where I make presentations - ever. I suppose if I found myself in a situation where I needed to make a presentation, uploading it to this site would be a back-up measure. I certainly could do research on the site. Without the speaker, the presentation loses a little something.

Because the subject of autism is near and dear to my heart, I searched for a presentation about it. I found one called "Working with Autistic Spectrum Disorder children in the classroom." I liked it because it offered me gentle reminders on how to work with my son when the frustration level rises. Plus, let's face it, autistic kids are in our classrooms, and they have a right to be there. There are some estimates that show that 1 out of every 100 children are on the spectrum. That number is even higher for boys. As teachers, we need to be ready for the challenges that will arise when these kids, even mild like my son, are mainstreamed into our classrooms. Here's the presentation.

Dealing With Autism Presentation
View more presentations from guestf46b4
">

No comments: