Saturday, August 27, 2011

Things 23 - the end of my journey!

As I started this course, I was a little concerned that it was going to be too simple for me. Also, my district just cannot get its act together. That interactive white board that has been on the wall of my room since March? Still inoperable. The version of Microsoft Office on the computer in my room. Maybe '98? Anything I type on my laptop I must save as an RTF or it won't open at school.

I have, however, learned a number of wonderful things. My favorite is the tip about saving Delicious tags. Just that tidbit alone was well worth taking this class. My other favorite bit was the lesson on podcasts. I hadn't yet waded into that pool of information delivery, but I absolutely will use the vocabulary podcast I found. All I need is my iPod and speakers. Not even my district can screw those things up.

I still see technology through the lens of my economically and vision deprived district. What I do see, as I stand on the cusp on what will be a daunting school year, is that I will have to share my own knowledge and continue to push for change. I will urge others to take this worthwhile class.

I just re-read Steve Hargadon's article and I still find it entirely too full of Kool-Aid consumption. It is impossible to deny the importance Web 2.0 has played in movements like the Arab Spring, it is also impossible to overstate the importance of face-to-face contact, or the mostly despicable comments found at the end of any article on any newspaper site. One glance at those reveals that there are a lot of "pro-sumers' out there who are interested only in their own ignorance and hatred and sharing that with the world.

How will I continue to learn about Web 2.0? I will follow the trends and ask the kids :)

2 comments:

RESA 23Things said...

It's been fun reading your thoughts as you progressed through the 23 Things - many of which you have used previously. Your sharing of ideas for using the tools is valuable for all of us.

We also enjoyed your humor, your trip to London, and of course, the submission of your CV to GC.

Thanks for participating and congratulations on your successful completion of 23 Things!

Teacher Toni said...

Thanks so much. I really do feel that this is a valuable class and I will encourage my colleagues to sign up for it next summer.

You, George still hasn't gotten a hold of me! I didn't have him pegged as a shy guy ;)