Saturday, August 27, 2011

Things 21 and 22

Of the Wikis that I browsed, my favorite was Book Trailers for Readers. That gave me an idea for an end of the year project for my combined English 12/Honors English 12 class. I think they'll be making book trailers.

Anyway, the only obstacle that I have to overcome is the time crunch issue. I've mentioned before that I have five preps this year and, to be honest, I'm already feeling stressed as I try to start lesson plans. I don't think PB works is blocked because another teacher has a wiki.

I had wanted to start a wiki for a while, so I did so earlier in the summer, long before I realized that I would need to do so for this course. My wiki, Books Are Good is obviously still under construction. The big difference between it and a blog is that I can train kids how to upload material to this and they can work collaboratively on projects using a wiki. That's still the part with which I need to become familiar, but I have people who can help me.

A blog for a student is still more appropriate for his/her own thoughts. I would hate for a wiki discussion board to become a spot for competitive students or malcontents to try and mar someone else's reputation or work. I can see that happening. As long as blogspot is blocked, I might keep the Yahoo! group going for my AP class.

No comments: