Saturday, August 6, 2011

Things 9 and 10

I created a youtube account perhaps three years ago. It was in response to my inability to email a video to my parents in Florida. My son had done something cute and I had managed to tape the event. I tried several times to attach it to an email, to no avail; the file was simply too large. At the time, I didn't know about gmail, so the only way I could think to the share these videos of their only grandchild was to upload them to youtube. That's worked and since then I've upload concert video and more Andrew video. If anyone is curious, look for tacteacher and you'll find my paltry offerings.

I avoid youtube like the plague. I could get lost in hours of goofy Bugs Bunny clips. I do like to check out new music via youtube. If someone tells me about an artist, I look up a few songs and make up my own mind about the artist. I don use it with Andrew when he wants to look at trains or trucks or airplanes.

Sadly it is blocked in my district. I have asked to have it unblocked on teacher stations, but alas - no. I would love to use it when teaching satire (the Simpsons). I know that there is TeacherTube. I used it this summer to look for rocks and minerals videos for Andrew. It has less content, though I will look at it more extensively as I plan for my classes, especially if that white board is set to go.

As I stated before, I'm in a bit of a sour mood and this song really speaks to that. It is a beautiful live version of one of my all-time favorite songs. Enjoy!

1 comment:

RESA 23Things said...

It's so discouraging when you know of valuable content and your district blocks it. Hopefully, more and more districts will see how sites like YouTube can be used educationally and will loosen up on the restrictions. For now, you can download videos and use them legally under Fair Use guidelines.